Location: Boardman, Ohio
About Akron Children's Hospital
Akron Children's Hospital has been caring for children since 1890, and our pediatric specialties are ranked among the nation's best by U.S. News & World Report. With two hospital campuses, regional health centers and more than 50 primary and specialty care locations throughout Ohio, we're making it easier for today's busy families to find the high-quality care they need. In 2020, our health care system provided more than 1.1 million patient encounters. We also operate neonatal and pediatric units in the hospitals of our regional health care partners. Every year, our Children's Home Care Group nurses provide thousands of in-home visits, and our School Health nurses manage clinic visits for students from preschool through high school. With our Quick Care Online virtual visits and Akron Children's Anywhere app, we're here for families whenever and wherever they need us. Learn more at akronchildrens.org.
- To treat every child as we would our own
- To treat others as they would like to be treated
- To turn no child away for any reason
Prior to the start date, full COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment. Full vaccination is defined as 14 days after the last received vaccination. Boosters are excluded from this requirement.
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
This is a part time (approximately 11 hours a week) M-F day position in our Mahoning Valley Surgery Department.
The Child Life Specialist plans and implements comprehensive Child Life services.
1. Plans and implements comprehensive Child Life services.
2. Provides preparation and facilitates adaptive coping strategies for patients and families for medical procedures and other health care experiences.
3. Provides education and emotional support to patients and families advocate and communicate patients'/families' needs to multi-disciplinary staff.
4. Provides education related to child development and impact of hospitalization.
5. Supervises and trains students and volunteers.
6. Perform other related miscellaneous duties as assigned.
7. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care for the physical, psych/social, educational, and safety needs of the patients served regardless of age.
8. Other duties as required.
1. Experience in a clinical setting as a Child Life Specialist is preferred.
2. Experience working with all levels within an organization is required.
3. Experience in healthcare is preferred.
4. Proficiency in MS Office [Outlook, Excel, Word] or similar software is required. Epic software or similar EMR software is required.
Education and Experience
1. Education: Bachelor's degree in Child Development, Child Life specialization, or related field is required Master's degree is preferred.
2. Certification: Certified Child Life Specialist within one year of employment is required. Current Health Care Provider BLS training is required.
3. Years of relevant experience: 0 to 2 years is preferred.
4. Years of experience supervising: None.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: