At Frederick Community College we proudly serve the educational needs of our students, help develop the economic vitality of our local communities, and enrich the lives of Frederick County residents. Each year, more than 16, 000 students take a diverse scope of courses at Frederick Community College, located in Frederick, Maryland. Our vast range of courses includes quality instruction in more than 85 degree and certificate programs as well as workforce training and continuing education to meet the needs and interests of our community members. FCC proudly embraces and showcases academics, arts, athletics and more to provide pathways to success for all students. Each year we provide direct service to thousands of residents and indirect services to countless more. We credit our ability to deliver these services to the strength and commitment of our people. We invite you to explore all that we have to offer!
Relocation Provided?: No
The Child Care Teacher, Assistant is responsible for supporting the Teacher in performing all essential duties and responsibilities in the operation of a classroom of children ages two (2) to twelve (12). The Child Care Teacher, Assistant must be able to work effectively with a wide range of constituents in a diverse community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Understand developmental stages and milestones from infancy through age twelve (12), major theories of child development, and how children learn.
2. Assist with implementing developmentally appropriate curriculum/weekly lesson plans and daily activities that meet emotional, physical, intellectual, and social needs of the individual children in the group.
3. Understand and assist with the using methods of assessment and observation techniques to observe and evaluate children and to inform teaching.
4. Understand inclusionary practices based on national standards and best practices in early childhood education and school age programs.
5. Know how to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), establish an inclusive child care environment, and meet the needs of all children in care.
6. Understand the impact of health, nutrition, family, and parenting styles on child growth and development.
7. Understand the influence of culture and community on child development and work effectively with a wide range of constituents in a diverse community.
8. Understand the responsibilities of identifying and reporting incidents of child abuse and neglect.
9. Assist with maintaining a clean, warm, and safe environment (indoors and outdoors) that is orderly and contains a predicable routine.
10. Develop and nurture partnerships with families.
11. Maintain open lines of communication with parent, co-workers, Assistant Director, and Director.
12. Ensure that each child and parent is treated with dignity and respect.
13. Use of appropriate and positive guidance techniques to help children develop internal control of their behaviors based on theory and best practices.
14. Conduct self in professional manner at all times respecting the confidentiality of all children and their families (whether at work or on personal time) and reflecting a positive image of the Center to the Community.
15. Assume leadership of the classroom in the absence of the Teacher.
16. Complete continued education/professional development training as required by Maryland State Department of Education, Office of Child Care and as recommended by the College.
17. Maintain compliance with all Maryland State Department of Education, Office of Child Care regulations (COMAR 13A.14.02).
18. Help direct the evacuation of the building in an emergency and be able to respond immediately to any emergency.
19. Administer and document first aid and CPR as appropriate.
20. Comply with applicable Universal Precautions and Infection Control Guidelines and Procedures.
21. Participate in Center wide events, such as family night, parent teacher conferences, literacy night, back to school night, etc.
22. Use basic computer skills to manage classroom attendance, create lesson plans and newsletters, conduct parent-teacher conferences, communicate with parents, and to track student progress.
23. Perform other duties as assigned.
Salary: $14.70 - $16.17 hourly
FCC offers a generous benefits package which includes medical insurance, dental and vision plans, waiver of FCC tuition for employee and eligible dependents, tuition reimbursement, generous leave benefits, retirement plans, and more! Frederick Community College prohibits discrimination against any person on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religious affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status in its activities, admissions, educational programs, and employment. Frederick Community College, an equal opportunity employer, values campus diversity in students and staff and encourages members from historically under-represented groups to apply.
Frederick Community College (FCC) is a public college accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE). FCC is distinguished by its quality and affordability, making it attainable and valuable for local students. Accredited programs, comprehensive instruction, and affordable costs of attendance have made FCC the learning destination for more than 200,000 students since 1957.