The Early Childhood Inclusion Specialist works alongside the early childhood classroom teachers at Helen Gordon Child Development Center and the Children's Center to provide support for children with special needs and to support the teachers in their work with children who need specialized care and education services. The Inclusion Specialist works across the programs as needed to support optimal inclusion and enhance the classroom experience of individual children and their relationships with peers and teachers in the community.
- BA/Bs degree in Early Intervention Special Education, Special Education, Early Intervention or equivalent and two years of early childhood teaching experience including inclusive programs.
- Understanding of child development. Including typical and exceptional development.
- Understanding and experience with developmentally-based, constructivist early childhood curriculum.
- Knowledge of and experience and skills in using tools for assessment and documentation within an early childhood classroom.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to interact positively and comfortably with young children and adults.
- Proficiency with technology
- Strong oral and written communication.
- Ability to work within a diverse community.
- MA or MS degree in Early Intervention Special Education, Special Education, Early Intervention or equivalent and one year of related experience.
-Two or more years of licensed teaching experience
-Teaching experience in an inclusive early childhood program
-Prior teaching experience with a broad age range including infants and toddlers, preschool and kindergarten.
- Knowledge of and experience with a positive discipline model.
Located in Portland, Oregon, one of the nation's most livable cities, the University's innovative approach to education combines academic rigor in the classroom with field-based experiences through internships and classroom projects with community partners. The University's 49-acre downtown campus exhibits Portland State's commitment to sustainability with green buildings, while many of the 124 bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees incorporate sustainability into the curriculum. PSU's motto, "Let Knowledge Serve the City," inspires the teaching and research of an accomplished faculty whose work and students span the globe. PSU seeks talented individuals who understand our values and strategic goals and enjoy sharing ideas and collaborating in an environment of mutual respect to achieve those values and goals. We are committed to leading through engagement and seek individuals who support this strategy. Engagement describes Portland State's collaborative approach to the exchange of knowledge and resources with local, regional, national, and global partners for mutual benefit of students, faculty, and the community. As a component of the Diversity Action Plan and the President's... Strategic Mission of achieving global excellence, Portland State University strives to become an institution that is recognized nationally and internationally for the accomplishments of its faculty, the reputation of its programs, and the preparation of it students as world citizens. For more information visit http://www.pdx.edu/about-portland-state