Presbyterian Ear Institute Oral School (PEIOS) located in beautiful Albuquerque, New Mexico has the opportunity for an Oral Deaf Educator to join our team. We do not use sign language at our school, we teach deaf and hard-of-hearing children to listen, learn, and speak through the use of innovative teaching plans for children with any type of hearing loss, who use hearing aids and/or cochlear implants, or who have speech delays. The Oral Deaf Educator is responsible for supporting the development of our students listening and spoken language skills as well as the facilitation of personal, social, and intellectual development of the students in our preschool program. We offer our teaching staff the opportunity to receive LSLS mentoring on-site.
- Develop and implement lessons appropriate to deaf, hard-of-hearing, and speech delayed students
- Employ a variety of instructional techniques (storytelling, phonemic awareness, handwriting, educational play, media, use of curricula, etc.)
- Write and submit weekly lesson plans
- Observe each child to help them improve their social competencies and build self-esteem
- Encourage children to interact with each other and resolve conflicts
- Guide children develop skills to identify shapes, numbers, colors, art etc.
- Track children’s progress using protocols such as The New Mexico Early Learning Guidelines, The Ages and Stages Questionnaire, and The Westby Play Scale
- Communicate with parents regularly about their child’s progress
- Collaborate with our other educators
- Maintain a clean and organized classroom consistent with health & safety standards
- Facilitate snack/lunch/recess hours & supervise children to ensure they are safe at all times
- Minimal lifting of children and assisting in potty-training
Presbyterian Ear Institute offers a competitive suite of benefits for our teaching staff including: Paid Sick Time, 403(b) Retirement Savings & Matching Program, and Free & Affordable Health Insurance Plans.
Presbyterian Ear Institute School for Oral Deaf Education is the only Listening and Spoken Language School in New Mexico for deaf and hard-of-hearing children. We teach deaf/hard-of-hearing children to listen, learn and speak through the use of innovative teaching plans for children with any type of hearing loss, who use hearing aids and/or cochlear implants, or who have speech delays. We focus on developing listening and spoken language skills in a fun and engaging learning environment. Students receive individualized and small group instruction, where they engage in typical preschool activities including circle time, art activities, center-based play, and phonemic awareness skill development.
- Degree in Deaf Education
- Background in oral Deaf Education/Listening & Spoken Language, preferred
- Experience teaching preschool age children is a plus, but not required
- Willingness to learn Listening and Spoken Language techniques and principles
- Excellent understanding of child development principles & preschool educational methods
- Familiarity with safety and sanitation guidelines for classrooms
- Excellent communication and instructional skills
- Ability to lift 30 lbs.
Internal Number: 1
About Presbyterian Ear Institute
Presbyterian Ear Institute (PEI) is New Mexico's premier center for hearing solutions for adults and children.
Here at PEI, we help deaf and hard-of-hearing adults and children develop and strengthen auditory and oral communication skills. Using the most advanced technology available, PEI helps children and adults realize their unlimited potential and actively participate in the hearing and speaking world. The world becomes a much bigger place when deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals can participate more fully in all aspects of life.
BACK TO TOP
Stay informed by signing up for updates and notifications.