Park Tudor School is currently seeking a counselor for our Lower School for the 2019-2020 school year. Candidates should have previous counseling experience, and a school counseling license. Experience in Mindful Educational practices preferred but not necessary.
The responsibilities of this position include:
Provide character education mini-lessons to Lower School classrooms
Oversee the Lower School’s social emotional learning opportunities which focus on: peer relationships, coping strategies, self-regulation, interpersonal skills, leadership skills, communication, problem-solving, and conflict resolution
Promote non-biased, equitable social norms throughout the school that embraces and respects varied cultural/religious/personal beliefs
Provide short term individual and group counseling interventions for students facing typical (i.e., non-clinical) stressors and problems (e.g., Children of divorce; New to Park Tudor; Anxiety; Social Issues)
Support parents by facilitating referrals for outside counselors as needed; communicate with these clinicians as appropriate
Offer written parent education on social-emotional development of children via the PT Times
Consultation with administration on Student Support Team program
Participate in Student Strategy/Grade Level meetings
Coordinate with outside agencies to provide school-based mental health/wellness services, including prevention services that are age-appropriate (Chaucie’s Place, Body Safety Program, Joseph Maley Foundation, Disability Awareness Education, Ruth Lilly puberty education presentations)
Collaborate with administrators, School Psychologists, faculty and parents to continually assess/re-evaluate the effectiveness of child-development, parenting, and wellness education
Respond to crises and serve as a member of the school-wide mental health crisis team
Report and/or assist staff to report suspected child abuse to Department of Child Services
Perform other related duties as assigned
Education: Master’s Degree required
Experience: Previous experience, experience in Mindful Educational practices, and independent school experience preferred.
Student-centered and the ability to form relationships with students, faculty, and families
Highly effective crisis management skills
Seeks out feedback in order to reflect and improve
Exemplary communications skills (verbal, written, and listening skills)
Strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail
Professionalism with and amongst all constituencies
Growth mindset and a commitment to professional development
Willingness to engage in all aspects of the Park Tudor community while promoting and supporting the School’s mission, vision, and values
About Park Tudor School
Park Tudor is an independent school in Indianapolis, Indiana that prides itself on upholding a tradition of academic excellence that began in 1902. As a college preparatory school for children ages 3 through grade 12, we provide an exceptional learning environment where children are encouraged to explore opportunities, exceed expectations, and expand possibilities. Small class sizes, a safe and caring atmosphere, and numerous extracurricular activities that include the arts and athletics, ensure that each child at Park Tudor receives a unique educational experience catered to his or her individual passions.
Park Tudor School offers excellent pay and a comprehensive benefit package. Our professional development focuses on Mind, Brain, and Education research and application, Equity and Inclusion, and Community Engaged Learning. Professional development opportunities are also available for participation in conferences, workshops, and membership in professional organizations. Park Tudor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Those who would add to the diversity of our staff are strongly encouraged to apply.
To create an inspiring college-preparatory learning envir...onment, with exceptional educators and extraordinary opportunities, that prepares and motivates students to become balanced, confident, and resourceful lifelong learners.
Ignite curiosity. Instill compassion. Inspire courage.
Integrity Intellectual Engagement Resourcefulness
Park Tudor at a Glance:
• 9-to-1 student-teacher ratio
• 100% college placement rate; 98% of students attend one of their top 3 colleges of choice
• More than $3.8 million in financial aid awarded annually to our students
• Consistently among the highest average SAT scores in the state
• Indy’s only Global Scholars Program: Park Tudor's unique version of the International Baccalaureate, designed specifically to be the ultimate college preparatory program for highly motivated juniors and seniors
• Focus on global citizenship through comprehensive world languages program starting in junior kindergarten
• 28% of student body come from racially and ethnically diverse backgrounds
• 15 Upper School and 12 Middle School sports offered
• 80% of students participate in fine arts and 80% play on an athletic team
• International experiences for students in grades 4-12 through study-travel programs
• Commitment to Community-Engaged Learning
• Full-day junior and senior kindergarten programs
• Focused liberal arts program with dynamic world language and fine arts programs at every grade level