The Director is responsible for leadership, management, and administrative functions necessary to the Preschool and Child Care center in a manner that is programmatically, fiscally and strategically consistent with the mission of the Palms Presbyterian Church, Florida Department of Children & Families, and the NAEYC (National Association of the Education of Young Children).
Essential functions include:
- Recruit, screen, assign, schedule, supervise, train, and evaluate staff, adhering to the HR policies and procedures of Palms Presbyterian Church.
- Maintain an environment that conforms to church, DCF and NAEYC standards.
- Ensure a safe and secure environment for the children and staff.
- Organize human and physical resources for appropriate performance and compliance.
- Conduct annual performance reviews of the staff and adheres to performance requirements of NAEYC standards.
- Prepare an annual calendar of activities for the preschool, EDP, and summer camp.
- Develop funding, policies, and procedures for financial assistance for families in need. .
- Adhere to guidelines outlined in the Palms Employee Handbook for the Preschool and Childcare Center.
- Submit monthly reports to the Session of the church, with updates on enrollment, staffing, and financial information specific to the preschool.
- Carry out policies established by the Session of Palms Presbyterian Church and its committees.
- Attend weekly church staff meetings, monthly Preschool Advisory Team meetings, regular meetings with supervisor, and other meetings as requested.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships among staff.
- Plan and implement strategic goals as a part of the ministry of Palms Presbyterian Church.
- Responsible for sound fiscal and operational management in compliance with the policies and procedures of Palms Presbyterian Church.
- Provide reports as required by Palms Presbyterian Church and the Session, NAEYC, government licensing and accrediting agencies.
- Participate in classrooms regularly by observations and engagement with students.
- Oversee curriculum development in conjunction with the Assistant Director.
- Plan and execute a year-around program that contributes to the emotional, moral and spiritual development of children, based in developmentally appropriate practice.
- Embrace, maintain and promote a culture of excellence which has been established over a number of years at the Preschool and Child Care Center.
- Screen and evaluate children as needed.
- Supervise the operation of the Extended Day and Summer Camp programs.
- Provide opportunities for parental involvement including classroom observations, volunteer opportunities, teacher and/or Director Conferences, service on the Preschool Advisory Team.
- Build positive, healthy relationships with parents.
- Partner with the Director of Faith Formation & Nurture to develop strategic programs that allow for collaboration between Preschool Families and the church.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Preschool Advisory Team.
- Attend weekly staff meetings of church and bridge communication between preschool and church staff.
- Communicate regularly with parents, staff, and congregation through a variety of media: mailings, E-mail, bulletin announcements, newsletter articles, Facebook, texting, and phone calls.