Under the supervision of the Executive Director (ED) of the Howard Levine Child Development Center (HLCDC), the Assistant Director (AD) is a key member of an administrative team that works together to support the achievements, objectives and mission and values of the HLCDC and the YMCA. The AD assists with the implementation of policies and programs related to child development, human resources, enrollment and finance, equipment and facilities, family and community relations and record keeping of a 5 star licensed, NAEYC accredited, high quality child development center. The AD will promote, implement and comply with developmentally appropriate best practices in early childhood with an emphasis on birth to two year olds, in alignment with local, state and Federal regulations and accreditations. The Assistant Director is accountable to act as the Executive Director at times when the Executive Director is absent from the center.
• Contribute to implementation of a developmentally appropriate evidence-based curriculum and ensure it complies with state and federal requirements.
• Participate in organizational risk management and ensure the Center’s physical facilities comply with local, state and federal regulations and are a safe and appropriate environment for children.
• Assist with ED to develop and monitor HLCDC operating policies and procedures to ensure effective successful implementation of a 5 Star licensed center.
• Support the holistic development of all children in partnership with the Program Manager.
• Supervise the Administrative Assistant to ensure that all children’s files are accurate and current as required by DCDEE, NAEYC accreditation and Early and Preschool Head Start standards.
• Collaborate with staff to assure compliance with local and state rules and regulations
• Continue professional development through self-directed professional reading, ongoing contact with early childhood development specialists, and certification renewal.
• Manage health, welfare and safety, sanitation and nutrition requirements for the center in compliance with DCDEE and Sanitation regulations.
• Develop and implement safe transportation practices for staff and students
• Implement emergency and evacuation plan and security procedures and review safety related issues
• Perform facility maintenance and safety checks.
• Oversee the supervision of the Kitchen Manager in all CACFP program requirements and documentation.
• Serve as the ED in their absence which includes the supervision staff
• Participate in the recruitment and orientation of new staff members, with an emphasis on teachers serving students birth to two.
• Maintains accurate and complete confidential and non-confidential human resource files in accordance with DCDEE, NAEYC accreditation and Early and Preschool Head Start standards to ensure successful inspections and observations visits.
• Monitors all staff professional development hours and educational requirements to ensure compliance with DCDEE, NAEYC accreditation and Early and Preschool Head Start standards.
• Monitors daily DCDEE, NAEYC accreditations and Early and Preschool Head Start child/staff ratios and ensures compliance with regulations and standards.
• Assists the ED with revenue and expenditures and monitors centers’ budget
• Ensures continued operation of the HLCDC by monitoring fee collection, keeping families apprised of account status and reviewing monthly financial reports.
• Assist the Family Support Coordinator in promoting family involvement and in building and maintaining meaningful relationships with families.
• Support Program Coordinator and Family Support Coordinator in the placement of practicum students, volunteers, observers and researchers.
• Aid in ensuring HLCDC curriculum is vertically aligned with the pre-k – 8 Renaissance West Neighborhood Academy, which will utilize a STEAM-based curriculum.
• Establish relationships with key individuals and outside organizations to assist in achieving the HLCDC’s strategic goals and objectives.
• Use key performance indicators to measure achievement of the Center’s goals and objectives and execute strategies for managing quality improvement reform.
• Develop staff schedule to meet the needs of HLCDC and families.
• Support the development and management of the HLCDC Budget.
• Oversee management of the CACFP program.
• Help assure the success of HLCDC by performing all other essential duties as assigned.
• Facilitate, guide and model the teaching of caring, honesty, respect, faith and responsibility.
• Promote YMCA mission and programs to the community.
• Collaborate with other children and youth-serving agencies to build relationships and a system of collective impact.
• Provide program information to Marketing Department in a timely manner to assist them in developing schedules, brochures and other materials to promote HLCDC programs.
• Develop and maintain positive, interpersonal relationships with YMCA and RWCI members, staff, volunteers, board members and other community stakeholders.
• Attend all Leadership Team meetings, retreats, functions.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.