Position: St. Matthew’s, an independent Episcopal day school for students in Preschool through grade 8, is seeking a full-time Pre-K team teacher. Each of the two sections is team-taught by a pair of dedicated and experienced early childhood teachers. The homeroom consists of 14-15 students, aged 4 and 5. Given the team teaching model, strong communication and collaboration skills are essential, not only within the teaching partnership, but within the broader team of 4 Pre-K teachers.
St. Matthew’s has a longstanding record of supporting teachers through a robust professional development program. Compensation is highly competitive.
Essential Responsibilities, Duties and Skills include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Plan and conduct an effective, developmentally appropriate program to meet the social, emotional, cognitive and physical needs of each child – in the classroom, outside and in both small-group and large-group activities.
- Communicate thoughtfully and professionally with parents and colleagues regarding curriculum, students, and development issues, verbally and in written form.
- Create a pleasant, inviting classroom atmosphere in which children feel comfortable and secure, along with an atmosphere of support and safety to encourage children to experience and acquire new skills.
- Provide experiences that promote individual self-expression in conversation, imaginative play and creativity.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date observations of students.
- Provide positive guidance to help children develop self-control.
- Create informative weekly newsletters and maintain a classroom web page.
- Confer with Principal, School Psychologist and teaching partner to resolve student issues.
- Demonstrate professionalism through reliability, participation in school obligations, and a respectful attitude in professional relationships.
- Demonstrate integrity, patience, openness, sensitivity, enthusiasm and friendliness.