Beth Shir Shalom (BSS), a progressive Reform synagogue, is dedicated to shaping and strengthening Jewish values and identity. The Beth Shir Shalom Early Childhood Center (ECC) is integral to this mission. The ECC Director must be a strong leader and educator of the youngest members of our community, a guide for families and teachers, a resource for the Board of Directors and a valued member of the temple’s senior staff team.
The BSS ECC Director is a strong leader for staff and parents, an educator of the youngest members of our community, a guide for families and teachers, a resource for the Board of Directors and a valued member of the temple’s senior management team.
- Provide direction and guidance for teachers and parents, leading to a child-focused environment that allows toddlers through transitional Kindergarten students to thrive.
- Support and inspire teachers in their day-to-day work and in their professional development.
- Represent the ECC on the Santa Monica Early Care and Education Taskforce, in Building Jewish Education (BJE) activities and other professional organizations.
- Facilitate parent teacher conference support as needed.
- Provide a professional model that inspires trust and confidence in the staff, Board, parents and the community.
- Keep abreast of best practices in early childhood education, and provide staff training to implement best practices throughout the ECC program.
- Respond quickly and effectively to crises and potential problems.
- Create and implement the school curriculum including the teaching of Judaic values, holidays and Jewish festivals, working together with the Rabbi, (Cantor) and temple administration.
- Monitor all teaching staff and classrooms to ensure that the programs and activities represent current understanding of best practices in early childhood education.
- Provide regular in-service training for all teaching staff.
- Support continuing education for teachers.
- Develop and present, or arrange for parent education programs.
- Contribute to educational activities throughout the temple that include toddlers through transitional Kindergarten children.
- Supervise all additional ECC programs (Baby and Me, dance, etc.).
- Consult with the Rabbi on all religious matters; work with the Board of Trustees, its designee, and/or temple administration on all other matters.
- Maintain open communication with the Temple staff to support a mutually rewarding relationship.
- Ensure that the calendar of ECC events coordinates with the Temple calendar.
- Collaborate with the religious school when activities are mutually beneficial.
- Coordinate and consult with various Temple Committees as needed to perform the above duties.
- Use social media to communicate with parents, temple members and the community at large.
- Advise Temple Board of ECC activities and events.
- Work with the Rabbi, (Cantor) and Executive Director to help encourage, grow and strengthen Beth Shir Shalom.
- Work with Rabbi, (Cantor) and Executive Director to create a welcoming family environment.
- Be available to congregants and school families to discuss Temple programs and other related pre-school business.
- Work with Rabbi, (Cantor) and Executive Director to encourage Temple membership and religious school enrollment of pre-school graduates and their families.
- Write a monthly ECC article for the Temple newsletter.
- Contribute to actively participate in marketing for the purposes of enrollment, fundraising and supporting temple activities.
- Create and maintain an effective network with peers, consultants and parents to increase resources and enhance the reputation of the ECC and the temple.
- Oversee and manage day-to-day operation of the ECC.
- Hire and supervise the teaching staff, including any necessary outside program specialists related to ECC.
- Prepare and oversee the ECC budget for both the fall through spring session and the summer camp sessions; prepare and present the ECC budget for approval at the March Board meeting for the following fiscal year (July 1 through June 30).
- Oversee the maintenance of school records as appropriate and necessary for the Temple files as well as for accreditation and the appropriate licensing authority.
- Operate the school within appropriate guidelines of the Temple, appropriate licensing authority, and accreditation standards.
- Assist in the collection of ECC fees.
- Coordinate and calendar all ECC activities with the Temple staff.
- Coordinate and implement all aspects of childcare for the High Holidays, as well as any other Temple events, in conjunction with the Board of Directors.
- Develop and implement systems to ensure the safety and security of the ECC’s children and staff, including regular staff training in emergency preparedness.
- Coordinate ECC volunteer services, in conjunction with the Parent Group.
- Purchase supplies and equipment within approved budget.
Take advantage of funding opportunities to enhance programs, including grant writing.