As Punahou School enters into its 176th year, it recognizes the richness of its traditions, as well as its responsibility to deliver a relevant educational experience in a rapidly changing world. It remains anchored in the aim of developing the full potential of each student through a broad and vigorous program of studies and through rich experiences for exploration, growth and mastery. Working within a coherent curricular framework that promotes personalized, product-oriented, inquiry-based learning , we seek to cultivate curious, confident, and self-directed students. Our faculty attends to the social-emotional learning of our students via intentional opportunities to foster empathy, resilience, moral reasoning, and social responsibility. Our teachers are agile learners themselves, demonstrating a growth mindset and a commitment to their continual professional development. Incoming teachers will join a dedicated and inspiring faculty whose ongoing reflection and renewal is supported by a schoolwide culture of collaboration and innovation.
Recognizing and embracing the range of learning styles and dispositions of our student body, the K-5 Learning Support Specialist will work directly with students, teachers, counselors, and Supervisors to collaborate on the design and implementation of individualized learning strategies for identified students. To achieve this, the Learning Support Specialist will:
- Facilitate an assessment process to identify and clarify individual student learning profiles.
- Collaborate with instructional teams in the design of programs and strategies tailored to individual student needs.
- Serve as a liaison to parents to increase understanding of student profiles and facilitate the implementation of support plans.
- Provide ongoing progress monitoring and feedback to teaching teams, supervisors, and counselors to adjust and modify supports and strategies as needed.
- Partner with the grade level Counselor and collaborate/consult with the Student Support team to develop comprehensive strategies and support plans for students’ psycho-emotional and learning needs.
- Provide faculty coaching, modeling, and advice to ensure the learning needs of all students are being met through strategic curricular design.
This position is a regular, full time position for the 2017-2018 School Year.