Title: Kindergarten Classroom Instructional Assistant
Direct Reports: N/A
Reports to: Director of the Early Learning Center and Extended Day
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Who We Are:
St. Thomas School, a non-sectarian, Preschool through Eighth Grade school, is one of the oldest independent schools on the east side of Lake Washington. St. Thomas School’s educational journey is defined by a cognitively rigorous program with an emphasis on developing character, leadership, and a passion for learning and achievement. Our mission is to develop responsible citizens of a global society. STS is a recognized leader in developing the whole student. Our core values include gratitude, responsibility, respect, courage, integrity, tolerance, compassion, perseverance, and generosity. STS serves over 300 students and boasts a 55,000 sq. ft. LEED Gold certified campus.
Under close partnership with, and at the direction of the classroom teachers, and with supervision provided by the Director of the Early Learning Center, assists the Kindergarten Teachers in daily classroom instruction. Working side by side with the Kindergarten Teacher, supports student learning. May also provide supervision during recess and lunch. Supports students, parents, and other community members in realizing our Guiding Principles and abides by our Framework for Professional Standards.
- Collaborates with the Kindergarten Teacher to plan and implement a cognitively challenging and developmentally appropriate program using best practices and theories of constructivist education.
- Familiarity with Lucy Calkins’ Reading and Writing Workshop, Fountas and Pinnelle’s Guided Reading, Math in Focus, Handwriting Without Tears, and/or Responsive Classroom is preferred.
- Becomes familiar with the continuum of the Early Learning Center’s program and related resources and materials so that s/he can actively assist and/or teach in all learning activities.
- Works with students in small groups, individually, or as a whole class, interested in taking the responsibility for leading the class at times
- Works with the Kindergarten Teacher in developing a management style that encourages a positive and respectful environment
- Assists in general supervision in the classroom
- Supervises the playground, following established recess rules and discipline, and reporting notable student behaviors
- Supervises the lunchroom, following established rules and discipline, reporting notable student behaviors and monitoring the cleanliness of the area.
- Performs general duties as assigned by the kindergarten
- Communicates regularly with the teachers and plans together in order to understand how to best use his/her skills and meet the needs of students
- Assists with administrative tasks such as copying, mounting displays, preparing centers, arranging classroom materials, collating documents, etc.
- Remains informed about events and developments at the school through the weekly newsletters of teachers and through the STS News and other bulletins.
- Performs such tasks and duties as assigned that would be generally within those functions to be expected at a school or as mutually agreeable between the Instructional Assistant and the teachers or administration
- Shows initiative by asking for assignments that would expand performance and capability, under the direction of the teachers and/or administration
- If qualified, provides substitution in the classrooms for absent teachers in emergencies.
- Registers with the Department of Early Learning Merit system and maintains Merit records in compliance the licensing of the Early Learning Center programs.
- Participates in beginning and end of year Professional Development days
- Attends and participates in the following: Chapel, parent and student assemblies, and other school functions as appropriate
- Observes laws and the school’s policies, procedures and regulations which have application to and implication for the professional’s responsibilities
- Is familiar with and complies with all policies and regulations as put forth in the school’s documents
- Since safety and security are everyone’s responsibility, takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, faculty, staff, equipment, materials and facilities
- Performs other duties as assigned