The Evergreen School, an independent Preschool – Grade 8 school serving highly capable students is currently accepting applications for a Preschool Teacher. The school seeks candidates who demonstrate a commitment to foster a diverse and inclusive learning community and bring an awareness and responsiveness toward all differences including, but not limited to, race, ethnicity, national origin, geography, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical ability, learning styles and marital, parental or economic status.
The Evergreen school is located in Shoreline Washington approximately half a mile north of the city of Seattle. It is fully accredited by NWAIS (Northwest Association of Independent Schools). Founded in 1963 to provide a nurturing environment for children with extraordinary minds, Evergreen has grown from an enrollment of 6 in 1963 to a current enrollment of 478 students. The campus facilities have also grown in recent years with the opening of a new gym and theatre in 2000 and the opening of two new academic and administrative buildings in the fall of 2015. The school celebrated its fiftieth birthday in the 2013-2014 school year, and has just completed a campaign for the building project and endowment. Today, in the words of Evergreen’s mission statement: We inspire and empower highly capable, creative learners to lead with curiosity, compassion and courage in an ever evolving global community.
This position is responsible for collaborating within an early learning team to plan, organize and implement an appropriate instructional program that fosters student growth across cognitive, linguistic, motor, social and emotional constructs of development. This is a salaried, benefits-eligible, full-time 1.0 FTE position for the 2017-2018 school year beginning August 24, 2017.
- Create and sustain classroom culture based on mission and values of the school.
- Plan, prepare and implement developmentally appropriate preschool practices and curricula that align to National and Washington State Department of Early Learning Guidelines.
- Collaborate with school counselor to maintain established curriculum of social emotional learning.
- Collaborate with and guide preschool teaching assistant(s).
- Create and sustain effective parent/guardian partnerships.
- Coordinate parents/guardians to engage and volunteer within the classroom.
- Arrange field trips based on curriculum and coordinate parent/guardian chaperones.
- Observe/evaluate/assess students’ development and maintain accurate records on student progress
- Communicate as needed with parents/guardians regarding student progress and via formal fall/spring conferences and written reports.
- Communicate classroom news to families on a weekly basis through the use of the school’s intranet.
- Manage a classroom budget.
- Participate in school/division/department meetings.
- Participate in additional activities and/or committees such as community events and school admissions.
- Participate in professional learning opportunities at Evergreen and in the larger community.
- Keep up-to-date with child development, teaching resources and instructional methods in order to make relevant changes to teaching practices.
- Other duties as assigned.