Dawson, a K-12 independent school of 529 students located east of Boulder on a beautiful 112-acre campus, seeks an exceptional Lower School Assistant Director. The Lower School Assistant Director will work closely with the Associate Head of School/K-8 Director to create a culture of positivity and connection through open support, transparency, availability, student programming, and excitement for Dawson. The School is committed to excellence of mind, body, and character and to the support of students’ efforts to reach their individual potential, meet the challenges of the world, and savor life. The focus of the Lower School Assistant Director will be implementation of programming, as well as supporting K-4 students and teachers. Compensation is competitive.
- Administrative experience and significant practical experience in child development
- Master’s Degree in education or a related field preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Personal warmth and friendliness
- Attitude that exemplifies teamwork and personal responsibility
- Collaborative approach to problem solving and enthusiasm for connecting with lower school constituents
- Maintain strict confidentiality in all matters
- Passionate about all aspects of lower school life and working with children
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for work with all school constituencies
- Model school virtues of respect, compassion, courage, and integrity
- Collaborate and work positively as a member of a team
- Oversight of K-4 curricular scope and sequence in partnership with the K-8 Director and department chairs.
- Oversight of the academic and social/emotional progress of all students.
- Effectively manage and address student behavior and accountability.
- Create student leadership opportunities and develop student leadership, including town council.
- Responsible for character, health, and community service programming.
- Timely, effectively, and collaboratively communicate with parents regarding student issues.
- Manage student related activities including clubs, assemblies, and social events.
- Create and nurture faculty professional development, with guidance from the K-8 Director.
- Manage assessments of admissions applicants.
- Supervise daily drop off and pick up.
- Organize and lead student of concern meetings.
- Teach one or two classes and/or work on special projects that benefit the lower school and/or K-8 community.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
Interested candidates should go to the Dawson website (www.dawsonschool.org), scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Employment link, click the link under Current Job Opportunities at Dawson, and select the Lower School Assistant Director posting to apply for this position. Only online applications will be accepted. This position is available August 1, 2017. No phone calls please.