Director of Early Childhood
Saint Andrew’s Episcopal School
Saint Andrew’s Episcopal School provides a “whole child” education for Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade students. The Early Childhood years are Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten. The school offers one section of Pre-Kindergarten for a maximum of 18 students, taught by two teachers. Families may elect a half-day program or a full-day program. The Kindergarten expands to 36 students for a full-day program in two classrooms with two lead and two assistant teachers.
The Director of Early Childhood is a member of the senior administrative team, the education team with the Head of Lower School and Head of Middle School, and the admissions team with the Director of Enrollment Management. This position leads and supervises the Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten teachers and reports to the Head of Lower School. The specific areas of focus for the Director of Early Childhood are: leading the educational program, providing parent education, and managing Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten admissions.
Leadership of Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten Program:
The Director of Early Childhood, in collaboration with faculty and administration, defines the program. Drawing from research and a range of best practices, the Director leads the team to determine philosophy, standards, experiences, and assessments that establish foundational habits, inclinations and skills that link to our elementary and middle school program. The Director is responsible for instructional leadership through modeling and management of faculty from the hiring through the evaluation processes. The Director ensures compliance with DSS Child Care Community Licensing and NAEYC Accreditation protocols.
Parent Education for the Early Childhood Years:
The Director of Early Childhood presents and facilitates discussions on topics relevant to parents of young children. The school seeks to support our parents who are navigating the education, enrichment, and parenting landscape in the context of the school’s mission. Furthermore, the school seeks to assert its expertise in early childhood as a community resource.
Other than 6th grade, the Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten grades are the primary points of entry into Saint Andrew’s Episcopal School. At maximum capacity, approximately two-thirds of the new students to the community enter in the Early Childhood years. The Director promotes the program, designs the engagement with the prospective students and families, and serves on the admissions team to select the qualified applicants. Furthermore, as part of the program leadership, the Director partners with the Enrollment Office to welcome and orient new families.
Experience, Characteristics, Qualities:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree, preferably in early childhood education; Master’s degree in relevant area preferred; Child Development Site Supervisor Permit.
- Demonstrated success setting expectations for professionalism, accountability, and collegiality
- Experience leading in a school that values a student-centered, research-based approach to teaching and learning ? Ability and willingness to draw from and integrate a variety of pedagogical approaches
- A community-builder who solves problems and builds consensus skillfully ? Demonstrated understanding of the developmental needs of students aged 4-6-years-old
- Ability to manage the tension between developmentally-appropriate learning environments and preparation for an academically-challenging curriculum
To Apply: Candidates should submit to Erik Carlson, Head of School -firstname.lastname@example.org: ?
A letter of interest and summary of qualifications
- A Resume
- A Statement of Educational Philosophy
- Three References Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.