Middle School Teaching Position
Breakwater Mission Statement: Breakwater’s mission is to engage our students in an optimal learning experience that inspires them to live well on the planet, embrace their whole being, and realize their full potential. We accomplish this by continually reviewing and applying best educational practice while remaining true to our community’s values and spirit.
The Breakwater Way: At Breakwater, children's positive attitudes toward learning are nurtured by a strong partnership between the school and home. Students learn best when they feel connected and supported, and they flourish in a learning environment in which they feel safe enough to take risks and move outside of their comfort zones, where transformative learning can take place.
Breakwater immerses students, toddler through grade 8, in an inclusive, small school environment that bolsters their social and intellectual skills while nurturing their innate sense of curiosity and adventure. Our child-centered, integrated curriculum engages students in authentic learning experiences designed to expand core academic skills through challenging, hands-on projects that have real-world applications. Students emerge from our program as self-confident, independent thinkers and motivated, lifelong learners who possess the academic and interpersonal skills to succeed wherever their choices and circumstances take them.
About Breakwater: Breakwater School is an independent, co-educational day school serving up to 180 students from toddler through 8th grade. Philosophically, Breakwater balances the best of the progressive movement, current research and innovation, with proven traditional practices. Breakwater’s programs are housed in three separate buildings, surrounded by large fields for outdoor play, and supplemented by a 21 acre nature preserve. The school is located in Portland, Maine’s largest city, near many excellent institutions of higher learning. Portland offers a superb quality of life with easy access to Maine’s scenic and recreational wonders, and many cultural, educational, and economic amenities.
The 7th/ 8th grade multi-age grade teaching position covers all subjects (math, language arts, science, outdoor adventure, and an intentional social curriculum). A successful candidate will be able to teach language arts, math, and science and create engaging, integrated projects that align with our mission and teaching model. Abilities in other subject areas are welcome. As a “homeroom” teacher, duties will also include parent communication and managing individual student programs. Our class ratio is 16:1.
We are seeking to fill this position with passionate, energetic educators, who enjoy children and think creatively about what is the best way to teach each child, informed by best practice. Each teacher will be part of a dynamic, collaborative team, designing and delivering developmentally responsive, integrated curriculum.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- At least 3-5 years of classroom or relevant teaching experience is expected.
- Multi-age classroom experience, or experience with a diverse range of learners, is especially helpful for this position.
- Understanding of and experience of "social curriculum" and building strong, positive relationships with children, families, and colleagues.
- Ability to create a safe, organized, and well managed classroom (teachers handle most of the discipline issues in their own classrooms).
- Being an effective member on a collaborative team, as well as assume leadership.
- Deep understanding of child development, human growth and learning, and developmentally responsive best practices.
- Demonstrated experience in creating and using formative assessment, as well as summative measures, to improve instruction.
- Experience and proven ability to effectively plan and deliver project based-learning/expeditionary learning/integrated curriculum experiences while ensuring students are learning essential skills and concepts.
- Breakwater’s faculty is a community of learners and a commitment to your own professional development, openness to truly challenge your own teaching practices to do what is best for students, and willingness to contribute to the team’s growth is expected. Our faculty maintains a reputation of working collaboratively with families and knowing each child very well. Excellent communication skills are essential and ability to effectively write narrative reports and classroom newsletters.
Breakwater is an equal opportunity employer (EOE), and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability and genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factor.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, three letters of reference and proof of fingerprinting to:
856 Brighton Avenue
Portland, ME 04102
The posting for this position will be active until position is filled. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Start Date is August 25, 2017.