Research Associate Social/Behavioral Sciences Intermediate
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
February 7, 2018
Ann Arbor, Michigan
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The letter should address your specific interest in the position, as well as outline your skills and experience that directly relate to it.
The Panel Study of Income Dynamics (PSID) is a social science study that has collected economic, social, and demographic data from U.S. adults since 1968. The study is located within the Survey Research Center (SRC) at the Institute for Social Research (ISR). A central mission of the project is to provide the scientific research community of economists, sociologists, demographers, and other social scientists with high quality data and documentation in a timely manner. The PSID includes major supplemental data collections such as the Child Development Supplement (CDS) and the Transition into Adulthood Supplement (TAS). The project seeks to hire a Research Associate to join the Data Processing team who is experienced in the domains of data cleaning and processing, data management, creation of codebooks and user guides, and report writing.
• Using SAS, clean, process, and transform social science panel data to prepare for editing; code open-ended answers from survey questions. Apply complex longitudinal rules to write and revise SAS programs to transform raw data into a format that can be used for editing; determine the correct number of records and merge on correct person identifiers to raw data; produce SAS output for identifying potential problems with record integrity; ensure all fields in the content area are included in the editing file. Candidate must be aware of best practices rules for data management including identifying and flagging problems with primary keys and primary-foreign key relationships.
• Construct detailed codebook documentation that creates variable-level specifications and code frames in an Oracle Forms application; create variable names, labels, and formats; conduct data quality checks; construct new and maintain existing cross year index that categorizes survey measures and maps comparable measures across interviews; develop documentation of data files for internal and external use, including Web-based codebooks and other electronic documentation.
• Develop documentation of data files for internal and external use, including Web-based codebooks and other electronic documentation.
• Code open-ended answers to survey questions; using an Oracle Forms application, construct new and maintain existing cross year index that categorizes survey measures and maps comparable measures across interviews.
• Write and edit technical reports, training materials; includes word processing and editing, creation of charts, graphs, and tables in Excel, and development of PowerPoint presentations.
• Assist the project in other areas as needed, which may include but not be limited to data analysis, writing tutorials to instruct users about how to create and analyze data, assisting with user help, and compiling information about protocols and instruments used in other similar studies.
Bachelor’s degree in a social science.
Four to five years experience with management and analysis of social science survey data including: SAS experience managing and manipulating data with an emphasis on data step programming, macros, merging and producing output to confirm record counts or produce output of outliers at the record level or the variable level that require further attention; and including demonstrated competency in statistics. Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft products of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Demonstrated ability to understand the highly complex data and information about the study including its complex sample design and following rules in a timely manner. Ability to quickly master new processes, procedures, and computer programs. Ability to work successfully in a team environment. Highly organized and self-directed. Excellent interpersonal skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Motivated and highly attentive to detail.
Master’s degree in economics, sociology, survey methods, or related field. Advanced knowledge of statistics and/or survey methods. Experience in the processing and editing of longitudinal social science survey data. Experience with database design and running queries in SAS. Proficiency in SAS for data analysis and data management. Previous experience with management and analysis of longitudinal social science data. Five or more years of experience with SAS with an emphasis on data step programming using macros and ods output. Intermediate knowledge of statistics is required to produce more advanced output as required for PI team requests, which may include balanced panel output, weighted frequencies, means, scatterplots, and manipulating raw data collected at various levels.
Salary is dependent upon qualifications and experience of selected candidate
The Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the university, and to ground our research in varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Internal Number: 153667
About University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
A great university is made so by its faculty and staff, and Michigan is recognized as one of the best universities to work for in the country. The Michigan culture is known for engaging faculty and staff in all facets of the university to create a workplace that is vibrant and stimulating.For two consecutive years, the Chronicle of Higher Education has placed U-M in its "Great Colleges to Work For" survey. In particular, the university earns high marks for strong relations between faculty and administrators, a collaborative system of governance, strong pay and benefits, and a healthy work/life balance.
BACK TO TOP
Stay informed by signing up for updates and notifications.